Friday, March 17, 2017

ACTUALLY versus NOWADAYS



ACTUALLY is not used to refer to time. It means IN FACT:

‘Hi, Mary. What a pleasant surprise!’ ‘Actually my name is Alice.’
I hear that you're a doctor. ~ Well, actually, I'm a dentist.
You are a doctor, right?’ ‘Well, actually, I’m a teacher.’
‘I don’t think you have sent the money, have you?’ ‘I have, actually.’
I have got a promotion. Actually, they have made me the manager.
‘Did you enjoy the movie?’ ‘Very much, actually.’



NOWADAYS, THESE DAYS or TODAY refer to the PRESENT TIME.

I don’t watch TV very much nowadays. There’s so much rubbish on. It’s not like it used to be.
These days you never see a young person give up their seat for an older person on the bus.
Today’s family structures are quite different from those of 100 years ago.
People don't wear hats much nowadays.




No comments: